Warrnambool City Council supported this motion this week.
1. Recognises that we are in a state of climate emergency that requires urgent action by all levels of government ,including local council.
2. Notes the link between this motion and strategies in our Council’s W2040 and Green plan.
3. Notes the successful motion to the Municipal Association Victoria (MAV) May 2017 to recognise that we are in a state of “climate emergency” that requires urgent action by all levels of government, including local councils.
4. Acknowledges that our region will be further affected this climate emergency, including extreme weather events, bushfires and sea level rise.
5. Writes to the State Premier and Prime Minister including information to do with Warrnambool City Council’s climate action record to date, urging them and their Governments to (a) declare a climate emergency and (b) back this up with legislated programs to drive emergency action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and meet or exceed the Paris Agreement targets and facilitate urgent action on coastal management and climate change adaptation.”