Commonly stolen items include money, wallets, handbags, jewellery, sunglasses, credit cards, tools and powertools, computers, mobile phones, cameras, GPS and other electronic devices.
To help prevent such crimes, local police have issued some handy tips.
• Remove all valuable items when you leave your car
• Lock all doors and close all windows before leaving your car
• Park your car in a well-lit and secure area.
• Take your valuables with you if possible, otherwise place them in your boot without being seen.
• Remove GPS units and wipe the suction mark off the window
• Do not leave personal documents such as your registration or drivers licence in your car. These items contain your home address.
• Do not leave house keys or garage door openers in your car – they may be stolen and used in home burglaries.
• Lock up your car – always physically check it is locked, even when parking at home or just leaving your car for a moment
• Close all windows – including sunroof
• Tradespeople – lock external tool boxes and equipment if they can’t be removed
• Secure your car by parking in a locked garage if possible.
In the event of theft, whether your valuables have been stolen from your car or the car itself has been stolen, report the theft to police.